Welcome to the Reception class page
Please find all the information for the term ahead.
This term we will be spending lots of time consolidating the classroom rules and making sure everyone feels happy and safe. You can help your children at home by using the same language as us:
- Kind hands
- kind words
- walking feet
- inside voices
- listening first time, every time
- ready for leaning
- respect each other and our toys
We will use our class dojos to reward the children when they are demonstrating positive behaviour. We we also use marbles in a jar to encourage team work. When the jar is full, the children will receive a class reward.
Topics this term:
- Around the World
- We will look at:
- World maps - looking at different countries
- Exploring different temperatures/weather/climates
- Exploring different settings/habitats
- Exploring different types of homes
- Vincent Van-Gough and his landscape paintings
- Creating dioramas of different settings
- How and where Chinese New Year is celebrated
- How and where Valentine's Day is celebrated
Talk for Writing (TfW) and literacy
This term we will be:
- Learning and re-telling the story 'No Place like Home'
- The children will: re-tell verbally, with actions, using story maps, small world and role play.
- Talk about characters and settings and think of ways to describe them.
- Learn new vocabulary from the story such as 'humid', 'sweltering' and 'shimmering'
- Read other stories that compliment this story, for example stories that include different settings from around the world or different types of homes.
- Have a go at making and labelling story maps
- Write character and setting descriptions
- Read information texts about different places around the world
- Learning a new rhyme/poem each week
We will be learning to:
- Sing lots of number rhymes using our fingers - for example, 5 little men in a flying saucer, Alice the camel, 10 in the bed.
- Count forwards and backwards to 10 using our fingers and counting aloud beyond 10, spotting patterns
- Subitise to 5 using dice and objects (this is when a child can recognise an amount of spots or objects without counting)
- Using fives and tens frames to count (Please see attachments below)
- Matching an amount to its numeral
- Finding 1 more and 1 less than a number to 10
- Finding, recognising and rotating shapes and finding shapes within shapes
- Using language to compare numbers - more, less, same as, equal to, sharing.
We will be learning to:
- Tune into sounds all around us
- Explore making different sounds
- Hear initial sounds in our names and other words
- Oral segment and blend using robot talk, for example cat becomes c_a_t (your child does not need to be able to recognise letters or words to do this, they just need to be able to hear the sounds)
- Begin to use newly learnt sounds in reading and writing
We will begin to do some mindfulness and yoga as it helps to focus your child's minds and help them with their physical development.